You're using an outdated browser. Update your browser for the full Life Teen experience.
Summit reflection video for the Seventh Sunday in Ordinary Time with Joel Stepanek
Covecrest is more than a retreat center and summer camp. Covecrest is a community of Catholics committed to transforming teens, transforming parishes, and transforming culture. Will you join us?
Hidden Lake is home to an incredible Catholic community, gorgeous views, welcoming meeting spaces and so much more. Dedicated to leading teens closer to Christ, we hope you'll be welcomed home to Hidden Lake soon.
This is your one stop shop for great Catholic books, community, gifts, events, music, and resources. We are here to serve.
Edge helps middle schoolers unleash who they were created to be, in Christ.
Life Teen strengthens our teens' Catholic identity, while rooting them firmly in Christ and in His Church.
Job Type: Full-Time Position
Location: Severna Park, MD
St. John the Evangelist Church, located in Severna Park, Maryland, is seeking candidates for a combined position of High School Youth Minister and Director of Confirmation Preparation. The parish is currently rebuilding its youth ministry program and is seeking applicants who have a passionate love for Jesus, joyful fidelity to the Catholic faith, a heart for youth, a gift for evangelization, and the administrative skills necessary to turn a vision for youth ministry into reality.
Our parish’s purpose is to form missionary disciples of Jesus Christ who joyfully live out the Gospel. The Youth Minister is responsible for implementing this vision at the high school age level in the parish, beginning with the preparation for the Sacrament of Confirmation in the 9th grade. The Youth Minister must develop a team of volunteer ministers (adult, young adult, and high school peer ministers) to ensure the success of the youth ministry program. The Youth Minister will also work with the parish’s Middle School Youth Coordinator to develop a comprehensive strategy for moving youth through the years of middle school faith formation and into high school youth ministry.
Job Responsibilities include:
High School Evangelization, Catechesis, and Youth Ministry:
• Develop and support a youth ministry program for youth in Grades 9-12 that evangelizes and forms young people as missionary disciples of Jesus Christ through relational youth ministry, catechesis, prayer, service, and community building.
• Recruit, form, and support a team of adults and high school peer ministers to give talks, lead small groups, and engage in relational ministry to middle and high school youth.
• Arrange opportunities for high school youth to engage in acts of service, through works of mercy, including some theological reflection connected with the experience.
• Support parents as the primary educators of their children in the faith, through parent gatherings and involvement in youth ministry programs as team members.
• Build relationships with middle school youth and work with the parish’s Middle School Youth Coordinator to develop a comprehensive strategy for moving youth through the years of middle school faith formation and into high school youth ministry.
• Ensure that opportunities abound for teens to grow in faith, prayer, service, and community. Offer regular opportunities for high school youth to participate in parish-based retreats as well as be part of regional or national youth conferences, such as Steubenville Youth Conferences, Damascus Youth Summer Camp, Lifeteen Covecrest and Mount 2000.
• Work with the Faith Formation team to offer regular Worthy of the Call child safety training for high school youth.
• Direct and lead the parish Confirmation preparation program, which takes place in the 9th grade.
• Recruit, train, and support a team of fully-initiated adults and youth leaders to give talks, lead small groups, and help prepare Confirmation candidates for reception of the sacrament.
• Arrange for service and retreat components within the preparation program for the Sacrament of Confirmation.
• Competently administer and organize the Confirmation program to ensure all necessary sacramental, sponsor and program paperwork is maintained according to diocesan and parish norms.
• Effectively communicate with parents and sponsors throughout the process and build in opportunities for their regular involvement.
• Working with the parish Faith Formation team, arrange for middle school and high school age youth to receive the Sacraments of Initiation when needed.
• Flexibility with work schedule, and available to work evenings and weekends.
• Attend staff meetings and staff gatherings as requested.
• Maintain communication with the Archdiocesan Office of Youth and Young Adult Ministry.
• Provide a visible, accessible presence at parish, school and faith formation events.
• Communicates to and collaborates with other youth ministries related to the parish, including scouting programs, high school sacristans, music ministries, etc.
• Demonstrate a concern for parishioner input.
• Provide regular updates on the status of youth ministry to parish leadership.
• Participate in regular (minimum annually) performance reviews with the pastor or his delegate.
• Prepare an annual budget for youth ministry for submission to the Director of Operations and the Parish Finance Council. Report at least quarterly with updates on actual expenses and revenue.
• Confirmed, practicing Roman Catholic eligible to participate in the sacramental life of the Church.
• Passion for the evangelization of young people, to experience the love of Jesus Christ, and realize a connection to the Church.
• A desire for reaching out to the disengaged and non-evangelized as well as the general parish population.
• Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Theology, Religious Education, or related field.
• Leadership ability, administrative, and organizational skills to take a vision for youth ministry and make it a reality in the life of the parish.
• Desire and capacity to develop and support teams of volunteer ministers.
• Excellent computer skills and proficiency in the use of social media, as well as working knowledge of audio-visual system functions.
• Exemplary communication skills, particularly in relating to youth and their families, as well as public speaking ability.
• Minimum three years’ experience in youth ministry or related field (such as FOCUS, NET, Hard as Nails, or similar youth evangelization ministries) preferred.
St. John the Evangelist’s purpose is to form missionary disciples of Jesus Christ who joyfully live out the Gospel. Our Sunday Mass attendance averages over 2000, with a parish school of almost 500 students enrolled in grades PK-8. Our parish is part of the Archdiocese of Baltimore and is located in Severna Park, near the capital city of Annapolis. Our location orients us to both Baltimore and Washington and is a vibrant and active suburb.
Please send resumes and inquiries to Stacy Golden, the parish Director of Evangelization, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please call with any questions: 410-647-4892