Working at a cell phone store, I find very few customers that don’t consider their phone a necessity. So when they come in with a freshly wet phone they dropped in the toilet… they are not calm.
If my customers cannot live one day without their cell phones that connect them to the people they love, why can some Catholics live without praying daily?
If your cell phone broke, your friends and family could not get a hold of you. You’d have tons of texts and voicemails. They would feel frustrated that they can’t reach you because they cannot be a part of your life. Now think about how God feels when we aren’t praying or reading the messages he sends us.
It says in the Bible that we should pray unceasingly (1 Thess 5:17-18). God wants to be in constant connection with you; he wants your spiritual cell phone ALWAYS ON.
The Catechism says, “Prayer is a vital necessity. Proof from the contrary is no less convincing: if we do not allow the Spirit to lead us, we fall back into the slavery of sin. How can the Holy Spirit be our life if our heart is far from him?” (CCC 2744)
If someone was chasing you and you had your cell phone, would you call for help? Of course! So if we are enslaved by our sins and chased by temptation, why are we not calling for help in those moments?
God wants to be a part of your life; He wants to guide you. You can trust Him, He sees the future and wants to keep you from harm. If you’re not communicating with Him, though, how can He warn you when you’re about to fall?
Here are 5 ways you can talk with God:
- Pray Always. Praying throughout the day can be as simple as thanking God when something good happens or lifting up your concerns when things don’t go well. When you see someone struggling, pray for them. To pray unceasingly means to pray at every opportunity.
- Look for God’s Little Messages. Sometimes you might get a spiritual ‘text from your friends. For example, if a friend shares a part of our faith that’s challenging you to grow in holiness, realize it might be God trying to tell you something.
- Get Familiar With Scripture. Knowing God is important if you want to recognize His voice. When you read scripture, you learn who God is so you’ll know if you’re receiving a message from God or not.
- Start Asking God for His Opinion. Instead of leaving a voicemail, open up a two way conversation. Go to the adoration chapel and sit in silence for a while. Ask God what he wants to tell you. He will speak to your heart if you ask Him to.
- Leave Your Spiritual Cellphone On. God can speak to us through our conscience, our ‘gut feeling,’ or even other people. Remember to discern in your heart if it is God’s message or not. Take it to prayer and test if the fruits of what you’re praying about lead towards His kingdom. When it’s the right choice, God will give you peace.
Take a look at your own spiritual cellphone. Is it turned off? Low battery? Now take a look at what God is offering you: all his attention, unlimited minutes, no overages, no roaming charges… just unlimited love.