Are you a good friend? Or even a good stranger? Take this quiz to find out how relational you are! As you answer each question, write down what number you answered.
You’re walking down the hallway, and it’s just you and that weird kid from history class walking towards you, what do you do?
- I pull out my cell phone and text so I don’t have to say hi
- I look up but since he doesn’t look at me, I’m not going to say anything
- I look at him and say “Hey, how’s it goin’?”
- I run towards him, give him a hug and tell him what I ate for lunch
When was the last time you had a face to face conversation with someone?
- Does asking my Mom what’s for dinner count?
- I talked with my friend for a couple minutes about an Xbox game I beat
- My friend and I talked over coffee about our summer’s, but it led to a conversation about prayer
- We talked about what’s been going on in my life, and how I’ve been feeling, and what I’ve been thinking, and who I’m crushing on – it was great, I loved it
One of your friends was just dumped by their boyfriend/girlfriend and is upset, what do you do?
- Ignore their texts because I already had plans for a Star Wars movie marathon, they’ll find someone else
- Talk to them on the phone for a little bit before I go hang out with my other friends who aren’t depressing to be around
- Try and be supportive by listening and then doing something that will bring their mood up
- Run over to their house and cry along with them, then we skip school cause we’re both too upset
Everyone is talking about a super embarrassing (but hilarious) picture on Facebook of one of your “friends” …
- Um, I know they are – cause I posted the picture! Funny is funny no matter what
- Yeah I know, but I didn’t start it, so it’s okay if I talk about it too
- I post a similar picture of myself so that person doesn’t feel so bad – I mean come on, we all spill our food sometimes
- I delete my facebook account because it’s clear that nothing good can come of it if people will just gossip and tear each other apart
You see one of your friends doing something that they shouldn’t be, what do you do?
- Pretend like I didn’t see them
- Tell my other friend and together we talk about how wrong that was
- I approach the person later and tell them why it wasn’t ok, I guess if we’re good friends he’d want to know and appreciate my honesty
- I go find the nearest priest and take him to my friend so that he/she can go to confession right away and then for the next two weeks I ask them everyday if they’re sorry – but now they won’t talk to me …
You’re really worried about your Aunt who’s sick and you want to pray a rosary for her but don’t want to do it alone …
- But then I get distracted with something else
- I ask one of my friends if they’re busy but then I’m too embarrassed to ask them to pray with me
- I love being able to pray with my friends and I know they want to support me
- I start handing out rosaries to everyone I can find and announce we’re all going to pray a rosary right now, no excuses
What do you think about small talk?
- I talk small all the time, my favorite words are “yeah” and “no”
- I feel like all I do is talk about the weather and complain about my parents
- I know small talk is ok but I love when it leads to a meaningful conversation
- I never make small talk because there’s always so much to say about myself and what’s going on in my life
You notice there’s a new face at Youth Group, so you …
- still hang out with who I’m comfortable with
- Say hi but leave it up to someone else to be their friend and talk with them
- Introduce myself and invite him/her to sit with me so they’re not alone
- Introduce yourself and then call them 8 times the next day
If you had 4 or more answers that were #1:
In case you haven’t figured it out, you’re not very relational. Maybe even a little rude sometimes. Take some time to think about other people and get out of your comfort zone.
If you had 4 or more answers that were #2
Congrats! You’re pretty relational. Don’t be content with where you are though. You know you could push yourself a little further, and it might be hard but it’ll be rewarding too. I promise.
If you had 4 or more answers that were #3
You’re a great friend! Keep it up! You’re very relational and seem like a balanced person. Cherish your close friends and continue to reach out to those around you.
If you had 4 or more answers that were #4
Calm it down buddy. You have awesome energy but be careful not to go overboard. There has to be a balance between thinking of others and reflecting on and taking care of yourself. Don’t let your enthusiasm for life scare people away or cause you to do drastic and crazy things.
So faith, hope, love remain, these three; but the greatest of these is love. (1 Cor. 13:13)