How exactly do you thank your mother for being your mother?
I mean, seriously . . . this woman carried you in her body for nine months; she endured back-breaking, ankle-swelling discomfort, sleepless nights, weird food cravings, dramatic weight gain, and hormone fluctuations that make pinball machines appear tame.
That’s not even saying a thing, either, about the insanity of delivering you. Believe me, I’ve been in the delivery room multiple times. You could tell your mom “thank you” from here to eternity and it still wouldn’t be enough to communicate the gratitude she deserves for keeping you (in this abortion crazy culture), carrying you and giving birth to you.
So where does that leave you on Mother’s Day? What’s your plan to celebrate her motherhood?
Last year I wrote a blog entitled “Mother Always Knows Best” – sharing an idea for a low-cost Mother’s Day present that would bless your mom’s heart without emptying your wallet.
As a follow up, this year, I wanted to drop some Biblical wisdom that you might want to take to prayer and share with mom this weekend (or anytime, for that matter).
Here are some verses you might want to share within a card or note and some ideas for how you can tie them into a message fo’ yo’ mama:
- Thank your Mother for her constant example of faithfulness and for raising you in the faith. – Deuteronomy 6:7
- Thank her for the depth of her love. – 1 Peter 4:8
- This might also be a good time to pledge to be more obedient to your Mother’s authority and vow to change behavior, if necessary. – Ephesians 6:1-3
- You might want to point out how the very thought of her fills you with gratitude and joy. – Philippians 1:3
- Speak about how her example inspires you to live an even holier life. – Philippians 4:8
- Be specific. List the ways (and examples of times that) your Mother has exemplified love in action. Point to her virtue and affirm her for it. – Colossians 3:12-17, Galatians 5:22-23, 1 Corinthians 13:4-8, Romans 12:9-18
- Thank her for how her example of love has led you to more deeply understand the love of God the Father. – 1 John 4:7-8, Ephesians 3:16-19
- You might wish to praise her example of fidelity and womanhood, as wife and mother. – Proverbs 31:10, 25-30
- Instead of rolling your eyes or getting embarrassed the next time your mom talks about your childhood, thank your mother for giving you so many memorable moments over the years, for remembering them and bringing them up – even at inopportune times. The fact that she does shows not only that she cares, but how special you are. – Luke 2:19
- Assure her that you will remember all the things she taught you as you go away to school or move forward in your life. – Proverbs 6:20-22
- Echo the truth that you will praise her and be thanking her for the rest of your life . . . that you will seek to parent like her. – Proverbs 31:2
- If you’re looking for one for your grandmother . . . or if you’ve given your mother gray hair – Proverb 17:6