It was 1999 and I had just entered my freshmen year of high school. The first school dance of the year was quickly approaching so I had to wear the perfect outfit. My goal was to look sexy because that’s what I thought I had to do to compete with other girls and to get attention from guys. The truth is I desperately wanted guys to find me attractive because I wanted to feel beautiful.
For that school dance I ended up covering up my face with a lot of makeup and I wore nearly see-through, skintight, leopard-print pants. I thought I looked so good but with those pants I might as well have been wearing part of a Halloween costume.
Does This Happen To You?
- How many times in the morning do you change your clothes until you feel comfortable enough to leave the house?
- How much time and money do you put into trying to make yourself more beautiful, whether it be make up, hair-dye, etc.?
- What kind of things do you buy to enhance your beauty: tight clothes, push-up bras, short and low cut clothes?
I Understand … But!
I did all these things! Trust me, I understand how you feel! However, here’s the good news:
- We don’t need to compare ourselves to other girls or dress immodestly to look beautiful. Our true beauty comes out when we let our personalities show.
- We need to respect our brothers and not tempt them so that we are not treated like objects. Modesty protects both them and us.
- I wish I knew that as an individual God thought I was beautiful and that I’d get the right attention from the right guy by focusing my heart on the Lord and finding my worth in Him.
Here’s My Challenge:
- Wear a costume that represents you by using your creativity or humor so that you don’t attract attention for the wrong reasons
- Think about a way to make your costume appropriate if it is revealing or even get a new one.
- Embrace your dignity and become the child of God He created you to be; “Glorify God in your body.” (1 Corinthians 6:20)