A couple of weeks ago Beyonce was given the title of 'World's Most Beautiful Woman' from People Magazine. I feel like once you've got that award in your back pocket you can either:
- A) Finally allow yourself to wear sweatpants all the time (at which point you wouldn't actually have a back pocket), or
- B) Gaze at yourself in the mirror for endless hours and let your pride shoot up like jack's beanstalk.
No really, congrats Beyonce, you are gorgeous and have cleared up any confusion about how far I have to go to reach the plane you exist on.
. . . If I were trying to reach that level of beauty. But honestly, I can think of a lot titles I'd rather have than 'World's Most Beautiful.' (Like 'Patron Saint of gluten free people.') Beauty is just so fleeting.
I don't know much about Beyonce (and I'm not giving my stamp of approval on everything she's said and done) but it seems like she might agree. She said about receiving the award, 'It's really about who you are, the human being that makes you beautiful.' Then she said that the award means so much more to her since she was given the title after she became a mother.
Guess what? Beyonce is un-knowingly (Or maybe knowingly? I don't know if she reads apostolic letters in her free time . . . ) echoing Blessed John Paul II. He said in his letter 'On the Dignity and Vocation of Women' that in motherhood a woman realizes and expresses her deepest 'self' because of the gift of herself she's made to another human being and the mystery she's taken part in – the mystery of God allowing us to share in His creative act. (Mulieris Dignitatem, 18)
What also blows my mind is that every time motherhood happens, it's like a renewal and reminder of the covenant that God made with us through the motherhood of Mary, which brought our Savior into the world. (Mulieris Dignitatem, 19) Moms get to follow in the footsteps of the Blessed Mother, who through her fiat blessed the role of motherhood forever.
Take that People Magazine. What you intended to be a superficial award, Beyonce and JPII took to the next level.
How amazing is that? A couple things to take from this:
- Mary is truly the world's most beautiful woman of ALL time because she said 'Yes' to God and through her life and motherhood showed us what true femininity is.
- Beyonce, while beautiful, had to admit that her motherhood makes her feel even more beautiful. She probably doesn't realize it, but this is because Mary sanctified the role of mothers for all eternity and because motherhood is a share in God's creation act and is a self-gift!
- So in other words – it just sucks for me if I'm not a mother? No, God isn't like that! There's this awesome thing called 'Spiritual Motherhood' which you can read about in Mulieris Dignitatem paragraph 21.
- Do you realize what I'm saying? You don't have to buy the best clothes, compare yourself to others, or spend hours at the gym to be happy, fulfilled, and draw others to you – in a word, to be beautiful. It's about who you are, how you serve others, and how you cooperate with God's plan for you.
I'm prettty sure that's what Beyonce was saying . . . if you read between the lines.