This month I’m turning a quarter of a century old.
And because I just wrote a sentence that rightfully included the word “century,” I believe that entitles me to momentarily and figuratively climb atop something you can hear me from and give you advice.
Afterall, I was born in the 80’s. That pretty much makes me ancient. (I was around the first time slap bracelets were a thing.) And as an ancient, blog-writing, birthday girl, my gift to you is 25 pieces of advice that I’ve learned in my 25 years.
1. No lies = no sweat. If you’re honest you have nothing to worry about.
2. Shut up more often. At least until you’re sure that what you’re about to say is useful and uplifting.
3. Speak up more often. If you need to say something, say it. If you need confront someone, do it. Keeping it inside isn’t helping you or anyone else.
4. Just say NO to cheese in a can.
5. Befriend your Guardian Angel.
6. Turn off your phone in Mass. The last thing you want is for your Katy Perry ringtone to go off during the silent, post-communion, prayer-time. Yes, that happened to me. No, I was not living the teenage dream that day.
7. You can’t please everybody and trying to will make you crazy.
8. Don’t text-date. Texting is not a way to build a relationship. It can be as fake as cheetos.
9. Don’t kiss someone of the opposite sex if you don’t love them. You’ll save yourself a lot of heartbreak if you save this sign of affection for a serious dating relationship.
10. Go to Confession. Often. If you think you don’t need to go to Confession at least once a month then you don’t understand what sin is, or it’s effect on you.
11. Friends come and go. Let it happen because trying to control your life and the people in it will never work.
12. Don’t wear lip gloss on a windy day with your hair down.
13. Stop being an “I love you” miser. Tell people you love them. We need to say it, and we need to hear it… today. No one is guaranteed a tomorrow.
14. Life isn’t just about fun; it’s about forever. Live with heaven in mind.
15. Breaking the law is never worth it. Be humble enough to obey the rules, even if you personally don’t agree with them. Yes, speed limits are laws.
16. Taco Bell is only a good idea never.
17. Spend time soaking in the goodness and love of the Lord and you won’t feel the need to search for fulfillment elsewhere.
18. Be selective of your friends. Choose people who will help you become a better, holier person.
19. Before your throw an apple core out the window of your car… make sure the window is open. And then reconsider because littering is a sin.
20. You’re the only one responsible for taking care of your wants and needs. You have to be able to be a healthy and whole version of you before you can ever give anything back to the world.
21. Be as kind to yourself as you would be to other people.
22. If you’re leading a group prayer, it’s okay to have a second of silence so you can think about how to start. Or else the first thing out of your mouth might be, “bless us oh Lord, for these thy gifts… “
23. Be careful when pushing a little kid on a swing. They never hold on as tight as you tell them to.
24. Good feelings are not the only indication that God is present. Don’t rely on them; a mature faith doesn’t. Expect both highs and lows in the spiritual life and know that God is faithful no matter what emotion you’re feeling.
25. Discipline is where it’s at. Make your flesh obey your spirit. You can’t be happy the other way around.
Guys, I’ve been here 25 years and there are two things I’m passionate about — sharing what I’ve learned and then learning more stuff to share. So I hope that this blesses you in some way.
Know that I’m praying for you all the time. Happy un-birthday to you!